Lignor, like other wood products store carbon. However, being a hardwood it tends to store more. ESB®, ESL® and CLST™ offers the following carbon storing benefits:
- The carbon released from ESB®, ESL® and CLST® production is less than for kiln dried softwood
- The carbon released during ESB®, ESL® and CLST® production is several orders of magnitude less than steel, glass and aluminium. Every tonne of cement manufactured creates 900kg of greenhouse gas emissions.
- The carbon stored in ESB®, ESL® and CLST® is greater than the other Engineered Wood Products by up to 3 times
Lignor EWP when used in house construction to substitute for conventional building products such as concrete, steel, bricks, plastics and aluminum would save approximately 25 t CO2 being released per house . Equivalent to driving a Toyota Prius for .
Net carbon stored in Lignor products is 1-3 times more than softwood EWP. This is due to:
- Less evaporation of water /m3 in eucalyptus and Lignor products vs softwoods Engineered Wood Products.
- Lignor’s biomass has up to 3 times more calorific value than softwood biomass.
- Plantation Eucalyptus trees can be much faster growing, eg. with a sustainable harvest at 8-12 years vs than plantation softwoods, leading to faster carbon storage within the plantations and wood products over time.
Thus Lignor products lead to much more virtuous carbon storage per annum than softwood EWP per m3.
7 May 2007
7 May 2007
14 May 2007