Sustainable Timber Sources

Careful and efficient use of timber is critical for environmentally responsible successful timber businesses and sustainable forest management. Lignor has built our technology accordingly.

  • Lignor will only use Eucalyptus timber from legal, sustainable and certified sources through either the Australian Forestry Standard (AFS), Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC) or Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) schemes. Lignor will not source or use any ‘old growth’ trees.
  • Many of Lignor’s products such as ESB® container flooring, can replace the use of timber products derived from unsustainable and often illegal timber sources. These illegal timber sources are often a leading cause tropical rainforest deforestation (Refer adjacent text box).
  • Lignor uses ‘residual’ timber or thinnings. This is important as these trees are generally younger and smaller and their removal can enhance forest biodiversity values and improve future timber yields. Typically these trees are very under utilised by the forest industry.
  • During manufacture, Lignor is able to convert about 70% of the log and bark into useful strands for our products. The remaining approximately 30% of the log is able to provide Lignor’s thermal manufacturing energy requirements. This reduces Lignor’s requirement for energy derived from fossil fuels. This higher log conversion compares to only around 50-60% log conversion for softwood engineered timber products and even lower conversion, eg. 25%-45% for some solid native hardwood products.
  • Eucalyptus timber generally is very dense when compared to commonly used pine. Using dense Eucalyptus timber, maximises the amount of possible strands that can be obtained by volume of timber, as the Eucalyptus strands are stronger and tend to break less than in a less dense timber.
  • As Lignor products are significantly stronger than softwood EWP, less Lignor product is required to achieve the same strength rating. This further reduces the amount of timber required.
  • Wastewater from this process is recycled to the log conditioning troughs.